Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Graduating

Four years ago I was taking the AP tests with walking pnuemonia, playing varsity soccer, hanging out with some of my bestest friends, all with this unnerving feeling of the unknown future. I was still debating whether I should go with computer science, physics teacher, or the craziest of them all: an animator. Suddenly I was pushed into being accepted at IADT. I hate that school with a passion but without their pushing me I would have never decided to become an animator and I would have never found Columbia.

Since Toy Story came out and I watched in the theaters I knew I was going to an animator. I just never knew how I was going to get there. I told myself, "I'm going to make Pixar great." I've always had big dreams and you should all know that by now.

I left high school with doubts that I would make it. I was in all these advanced classes and I did a complete turn around and decided I wanted to be an artist. Not just any artist, but an artist that would animate characters in Motion Picture Films. I thought I had gone crazy. How on earth was I going to make a living as an animator.....

Fast Forward four years and here I am about to graduate Columbia College Chicago with a bachelors in Film and Video with a concentration in Computer Animation. I went from never touching Maya in my life to creating my own short film and working with 12 awesome animators to create Suds. Believe me, when I signed up for Animation Production Studio I did not know that I would be such a vital part to actually bringing this film together. It's been such an amazing year, I've met some of the most awesome people, I've learned so much about myself and about animating. I still can't believe it's ending. I just want one more semester please!!!

To my family: Thank you for supporting me. Thank you for having faith in me that I could do anything I put my mind to. Thank you for letting me follow my dreams. Thank you for letting me be an artist.

To my friends: We've laughed, we've cried, we've fought. Each and everyone of you have impacted me in some way for me to be the way I am today. Some of you have helped me through a lot to figure out who I am today. I will always be there for you, even if I live forever away and even if sadly we are fighting.... I know I can be a pain some times and I love you so much for dealing with it. Thank you for helping me find my way.

What my future holds: In case any of you have been wondering what on earth I'm actually going to do as animator, let me tell you my future is wide open. I have an internship right now. It's still a lot of learning but I'm really excited that I'm learning and gaining experience at the same time. It's awesome. Once that finishes up I have been accepted as a student volunteer at Siggraph 2010. Unfortunately alot of you are now scratching your heads going...What on earth is Siggraph?! Siggraph is an animation convention held every year with all the big studios bringing all their new technology, new techniques, best films, new films, it's pretty epic. I will be going to work like 20 hours greeting people and then I have free access to everything and I will be handing out my demo reel like free candy hoping that I find something there. After Siggraph who knows. I want to do commercial work, I want to freelance, I want to work on short films with some of the people I have met this year, I still want to make it to Pixar. So like I tell everyone: DREAM BIG!

I'm working towards making the world a better place. Equal Rights for everyone, no more hate. I'm volunteering for the Human Rights Campaign. Once my schedule opens up a little bit I'll start actually working on projects with them.

Strength, Hope, and LOVE. It's my motto for life and I'll work every day to spreading it to everyone I know.

I love you all. I can't believe I'm saying this: My life begins here. (Damn you Peter Pan for not picking me up)

jenniworks.com
(If you haven't been to my website people what is wrong with you...)

May 14th: Screening of Suds. Be there. It's going to be so awesome. I have lost a lot of sleep and sanity working on this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment